License and Fees


To pay licenses and fees online, go the home page, scroll down and click on the “Payments” link. Please note that all applicable permits and forms must be filled out and emailed separately to the City of Hurstbourne for proper processing.


All persons operating a business within the City of Hurstbourne, including the collection of rent from real property within the City, are required to obtain a Business License regardless of running such business from a home or business location.   Annual renewal registration is required at the beginning of each calendar year. The Business License Ordinance clearly defines the perimeters of operating a business in the City; including rental properties.


To obtain a Business License, the Business License Registration form must be fully completed and submitted to City Hall for approval.  A license fee of $75 is due with registration.  Once approved, a license will be issued that may be displayed at the place of business.

Rental Properties

Registration and license are required for collection of rent from real property within the City.  No license will be granted for rentals less than 30 consecutive days.  The Business License Registration (For Rental Properties) form must be fully completed and submitted to City Hall for approval.  A license fee of $75 is due with registration.

Home Occupation

A home occupation license is required for the regular use of a dwelling unit by a resident living in the dwelling for the purpose of providing goods or services to the general public. Click on he Home Occupation Ordinance link for additional information. An initial fee of $100 is due with the registration.  The annual fee is $25.

Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) License


The City of Hurstbourne regulates the sale, storage, and purchase of alcoholic beverages within City limits.  All businesses that are engaged in the sale or storage of alcoholic beverages, including distilled spirits and malt beverages are required to first obtain a license from the City.

Businesses planning to offer alcoholic beverages must obtain a licensing form from the State Alcoholic Beverage Control Office.  Once the appropriate licenses have been identified from the State form, the business must then complete the City of Hurstbourne ABC license. The City charges an annual fee based on the categories of available licenses as defined by the State of Kentucky statutes (KRS 242).
Current fees are categorized under the Alcoholic Beverages Ordinance and with certain amendments in Ordinance 17-02 – Series 2017 – ABC Revisions

The City of Hurstbourne may also grant temporary alcohol licenses for special events. All events in the City providing alcohol are first required to obtain a special events license.

Applications must include a check payable to the City of Hurstbourne for the amount of the applicable license(s).

All licenses are reviewed by the City Alcohol Beverage Control Officer.  Once the local ABC Administrator has signed the State application, it may be forwarded to the State of Kentucky for final approval.


New and Existing Signs

All business signs (both new and existing) require permitting by the City of Hurstbourne. Initial and annual renewal Sign Applications must be submitted for approval by the City.  Click on City Sign Regulations Ordinance    for full description of sign regulations.  Please fill out the Sign Permit form – New Sign and submit along with drawings and details of materials and construction details.  Initial sign permit fees are $1 per square foot.  Annual renewal fees are .50 per square foot. ($25 minimum fee).

Temporary Banners

Please submit Banner Permit form along with rendering or drawing to Code Enforcement City Hall.  Banner permit fee is $25.

Dumpsters and PODs


A permit is required before placing a POD or Dumpster within the City of Hurstbourne.  Please obtain a POD (Portable Storage Container) Permit or Dumpster Permit and submit to Code Enforcement for approval.  The POD fee is $10 and must be included with the application for POD permit. There is NO FEE for Dumpster Permits.